Friday, February 7, 2014

Exercising the Grey Matter

Having established that using my brain via a work scenario is about as certain as hell freezing over, I have decided that I shall take the bull by the horns and do a module through Bible School - Yes, if I were there, I may have been "roped into" teaching some of this module, but now I am the student.

The last time I tried to study via correspondence wasn't pretty. In fact, the last two times weren't pretty. Let's just be brutal and say I have never been successful in correspondence learning....

I don't know what makes me think this time will be different, maybe because I am older, although I seriously doubt it.  All I really have, is my friend and mentor from Bible School who will very gently breathe down my neck and encourage me along the way - which is better than a kick in the pants.

So I have decided on doing the "Doctrines that Divide" module. It's looking at the history of the church and how certain doctrines took hold, what they believe and how it corresponds to Scripture as we understand it today.  I have always believed that unless you understand what another persons faith is all about, you can't really engage in
a proper conversation because of your ignorance.  Conversations that don't try to persuade but instead seek to understand.

I have this dream - in fact it's not even a dream yet.... but more of an idea that is beginning to brew in my brain. When it takes more shape I will share it with you - until then, if you are the praying type, pray that I can keep my butt in gear and start the way I want to finish.... well!

Please feel free to challenge me every now and again and ask me - "So, how is the studying going!?"

8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting Lisa! Will try to remember to prod you. Bah, whom I kidding?!? I've got enough on my plate to remember........but I look forward to you sharing what you learn about!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Nix! I think you have more than enough on your plate without prodding what's on mine! :)

      Delete
  2. You go girl!
    I have a feeling that you'll crack this one . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanks! Going to give it a good enough shot!
      x

      Delete
  3. Interesting! Well, see, and thats what I meant by my previous comment;-) And will defo every now and then 'check up on the studying thang'… Look forward to reading on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can report so far that all assignments have been handed in - on time! :)

      Delete
  4. That is going to be an interesting study. We must belong to the most divided faith on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.... isn't that sad - when we are meant to be recognised as a family, united in love?

      Delete

So, what do you think?

Reverse Culture Shock & Difficult Questions

The days are moving on and soon we will be home home. There seems to be a common thought coming through from friends there and here - Prepar...